Here at Daunt’s Albatross we are all about rest and relaxation for all our guests and especially for our senior crew. Whether it’s lounging by the pool, grilling in the courtyard or taking a walk on the beach, our property is all about the best things in life. To be able to stay active and continue to enjoy all the things you love, it is so important to take care of your body.
We know, we know, life gets in the way. We get distracted and busy with everyday life too.
Thankfully, we have a yoga studio on site that offers yoga classes free of charge to all our guests. In fact, we are holding our very first Senior Wellness Week December 1st – 8th. The week will be full of gentle and relaxing yoga and meditation along with a nutritionist guest speaker, essential oil workshop and much more.
Think you are “too old” “too stiff” or “not flexible” enough for yoga? The beauty of it is that literally anyone can do it, in fact, you can even do yoga from the comfort and security of a chair. With consistent practice (even 10 minutes a day!) you will begin to gain strength and flexibility as well as peace of mind.
Here are our top 5 reasons why seniors should be doing yoga, in no special order.
- Increased Balance One of the first things people lose as they age is balance. Yoga helps to strengthen your core which will give you more control over your movements.
- Prevents Hypertension Yoga helps to reduce oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is one of the top causes of high blood pressure in seniors.
- Decreased Anxiety A big focus of yoga is on the breath. Believe it or not, many people do not know how to breathe properly, and their nervous systems are paying the price. Through conscious breathing, you will enter a more relaxed state both on and off the mat.
- Better Range of Motion As people age their joints begin stiffening with reduced activity in their lives. With lack of movement and the stiffness that follows pain start to become the daily norm. Yoga is gentle enough to safely loosen joints which will help relieve pain.
- Keeps Your Mind Sharp Taking time out for yourself with a daily or weekly yoga practice helps to quiet mind chatter and keep you centered. The focusing you do in class will translate into the ability to focus better in your day to day life.
Yoga also helps to: promote a healthy heart and better circulation, get better rest, meet new people, gain flexibility and so much more!
Our first ever Senior Wellness Week kicks off this December and we couldn’t be more excited! To learn more about our Senior Wellness Week and to sign up, please visit our website at www.dauntsalbatross.com or give us a call at 631-668-2729.